The Marino Rocks Lighthouse
Established in 1962 and with a range of up to 28 kilometres this aid to navigation was originally known as Hallett Lighthouse after the nearby Hallett Cove.
The lighthouse replaced the Wonga Shoal light which stood 25 kilometres to the north west. The Wonga Shoal light had a history of tragedy including being struck by a vessel resulting in the loss of two lightkeepers in 1912.
The Marino Rocks light originally used a modified airport beacon as its lightsource. This beacon consisted of two 24 inch parabolic reflectors each using a 1000W lamp. In 2005 the site underwent modernisation and a low voltage system was installed.
The lighthouse is managed by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority which has responsibility for a wide range of maritime safety activities including the Commonwealth aids to navigation network.
Leave A Comment